Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I have my truck back!

I have had a lot of work done on my truck. I had to have a brake job but was not able to get the repairs done earlier.
I had had a brake job done a few years ago and when I was in Wisconsin not 1 month later the brakes locked up on me. I had to force them back out on the side of the road to get going. I drove home and parked the truck. It was less than 1000 miles from the brake job and I had to park my truck. This was a painful situation for me. I have missed my truck. I had taken it for a few estimates and every shop had quoted me well over $1000.00 for the work. A couple actually quoted me over $2000.00
We got our tax return and decided to fix the truck.
I had to replace the battery, It was the first new battery for this truck. But still where to take it was the question.

Last year we had taken Jordan's van to get some work done. We took it to Automotive Services in Downers Grove because it was convenient for picking it up after work. They are right by the train tracks.
They did excellent work and for a fair price.

So I took my truck to them this week. Well they called me and stared listing all the things that were wrong. Calipers, Pads, Rotors, and the busted brake line going to the back. There will be a lot of labor involved. So I was waiting for the worst.
and he quotes me $700.00.
Really? I said.
"Well, I could charge you more if you want me too, but I just wouldn't feel good about it." He said.
No I will take that go ahead and fix it.
So I went to pick it up.
"Sorry, we ran into a bit of trouble with the brake line. It would not pass any pressure test as soon as we replaced one piece, the next one would burst. Essentially you have new brake lines all the way from the front to the back but we were waiting for the final part. ."
So here I was expecting a huge difference in the bill. Guy working on the truck showed me the parts.
The rotors were toast. The pads had shattered. The Calipers as you can see are in terrible shape.

Then he showed me the brake lines.
First he fixed this section,

and then this one,

then this one,

Then this one,

then this one was the one that we were waiting for.

Well they finished up and the guy says... "Well it will be a little more labor then I quoted you... But I am not going to charge you for the extra brake line sections.
Just the original one I quoted you. But I have to charge the labor."

"Really, So what is the final damages?"
$800.00
I about fell over.
Now I have my truck back! Yea!
And I don't feel like I was ripped off at all!

No comments: